Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Oh 2013... I'm not going down without a fight.

As many of you know, 2012 was somewhat of a "difficult" year for the Grimes-Sebulsky family.

 

Not just my immediate family- but my extended family also faced a number of medical difficulties -including my Aunt's diagnosis and battle with breast cancer.

 

I had have high hopes for 2013... I'm working on my attitude and showing more gratitude. I'm trying to focus on positives and give back to all those who have given to me- because if 2012 taught me anything... it's that I was blessed to have received love, support, clothes, time, food, money, help and prayers. 2013 will be my year of reciprocation.

 

And... though the past two mornings have been extremely difficult for our family. I refuse to let diabetes take total control of our lives in 2013.

 

Saul has experienced two- severe hypoglycemic seizure-like episodes two mornings in a row.

 

I can only pray that none of my family or close friends ever witness what takes place- their hearts would break into a million pieces to see him suffering and so out of control. I feel for all the mothers and fathers of epileptic children who endure way more than what we have witnessed.

 

The first episode took place New Year’s Day. Jeff was asleep in our bedroom- EH and I asleep in the guest bedroom- Saul had gone to sleep in his bed. Jeff was the one who actually woke me up- yelling "Get in here! Come Quick!" Apparently he had heard Saul cry out... he looked in his bed, looked to see if he was with me, and was running through the house ... he found Saul lying face-down in the playroom- totally out of it.

 

Jeff and I both think lil Buddy was trying to treat his low by getting to his emergency juice on the back porch... but didn't make it. We didn’t use glucagon on him- got him up and able to drink juice- an hour later he was back to dino- dancing, car zooming and driving EH crazy.

 

This morning- (for me) - has been the worst episode to date. Jeff and I both rushed in to his bedroom to find him (either coming out of a little seizure like episode or getting ready to go into one). He was shaking uncontrollably, pupils fully dilated- he was out of it- but breathing, I held him while Jeff poured the juice down. Again- we didn't use glucagon... after 2 juices he stopped shaking and stopped crying out. After 1/4 cup of lucky charm marshmallows he was talking and laughing.

 

Because Jeff was here with me and we were dealing with it together... I think I was more upset and allowed myself to get more worked up and scared. I know this is ridiculous... but in the moment, when he has little to- no control over his body, and he sucks down a 15 carb juice in 15 seconds... I want to see immediate action... and well... it didn't happen this morning... and I just want control. I want to control him and control his body and his brain and well... I guess I should be more focused on my own actions and behaviors during a crisis situation.

 

I'm so curious how others handle seeing/witnessing/assisting hypo episodes. For the 3 (bad ones) he's had so far... I've held him and just repeated over and over "it's okay. it's okay. it's okay. it's okay."

The worst, and what sticks with me like some PTS experience is his crying/shouting/screaming out randomly "I'm SCARED!" and "STOP!" "STOP!" He's so terrified in the moment and it’s like he knows what’s happening, but doesn’t understand it- or how to stop it (not that he can) and it's so awful to watch him be frightened and not be able to help him.

 

But. You know what... He came out of it. He's okay. Daddy went to work. EH woke up. We've played dinos and cars and Let's go Fishin, and Hungry Hungry Hippos. We've watched Daniel Tiger and My Little Pony (yeah... I know... it's sad... he loves it). We've chased Daisy around the house, we've made 5 million messes, we've had a great day- despite diabetes trying to ruin it for us. We move on... We have fun. We live. That's how it's gonna be 2013... so get used to it.



1 comment:

  1. 1. Tell Saul My Little Pony was one of my faves as a kid too.
    2. Sorry we missed you at Christmas.
    3. Prayin' for a better year in 2013 for your fam. Hugs from Sebulsky East <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete